Wednesday, 22 August 2007

Feminism - As seen by an outsider !!!

Before I cease to have my independent views on this ;-) let me write something, else I am not in a hurry .I m here just to know whether this word fits anywhere in my world, and no issues no controversies and no imposing of opinions.

The source of the word for me is from "Page 3" .All the famous and so called famous people trying to define feminism in a few sentences which always seemed so cool. Some would go like this "I make my own rules..." and others "Just chill..." and so. So I had to assume that feminism is some kind of phenomena happening with the people in the "yet to be famous" category of people. Of course there are a few other things that had helped me reaching this conclusion like I have never heard the journo or anybody asking the poor people even though literate bout feminism. May be it really does not matter whether they have a view on this or not let alone it be voiced or may be they never lacked it (something as a commodity).What they lack is basic amenities so they are always asked bout that only. And the people who are famous are just too busy to discuss bout this except for people in the media industry like Pooja bedi or Shobha Dey or recently and surprisingly Rakhi Sawant for her courage in redefining the term "item no. girl" and all the facets of it. Of course how can I forget the typical middle class that I can relate to so effortlessly. The middle class people live in a cage, a glass cage, and the walls reaching the sky, of course the roof is missing and it's always "sky is the limit" thing. Glass walls, for they know everything, see everything but can’t do everything. Many reach the sky but a few lucky ones only escape from this prison like structure and lead a life they want to live. Am I sounding pessimistic. But I hope many will agree to this. Okay let's not drift. For us the definition is same as that for the "Page 3" people but for the inclusion of phrases like "should be”,” Should have been" for we just say what it should have been like and crib a lot. I don’t know bout others but I am a champion in cribbing...

So for a long time I had assumed that it's something to do with the economics of the society. But later as it almost became a buzz word and too famous and too cool thing to discuss I was sure it has to do with something else other than economics. Nothing related to economics can be so popular, can it? That made me think of a famous maxim: "Nothing sells like sex and religion”. I was sure this has nothing to do with religion so, is it sex?Yeah it is and that might have been reason it is so popular even in blog circles including mine.. ;-) So is it just bout dealing with the double speak on sex, on having sex or on liberalisation of it like our economy which has become global. Of course how can we have globalization of economy,24X7 working hrs and have a local view on this. So there will be quite a lot of friction before it gets global.

Still I was not satisfied with this view of mine. Because the people In US fiercely independent, strong, individualistic and yet they are even in the process of defining and redefining feminism. But luckily one day as I go through the excerpts of an interview with Shabana Ajmi.I thought I can safely have a view of mine for the present, when she said "Feminism is submitting to your love without losing your self”. She is such a graceful woman and I m really surprised when she is with her hubby the great lyricist Javed Akhtar, it never seemed to me that they are even married. And I feel so happy to have seen her personally.

So i guess i can safely agree to it that when a woman leads her life as she wants and of course happily she is living feminism and whatever she says and does becomes feminism. And the rest is just cribbing, is it?? Or isn't it? Any comments????

3 comments:

KiranR said...

I didn’t quiet digest this, "Rakhi Sawant for her courage in redefining the term 'item no. girl'". In what way would that be?

The only thing I see is she hasn’t shifted her focus, she came in as an 'item girl' and she chose to stay there, unlike others she didn’t go around seeking 'meaningful' roles or may be they never came along.

If you are suggesting that she is successful because she is getting a lot of offers in movies, music videos, campaigns, award ceremonies, then that is because she is good at what she is doing, and she has a huge fan following, other than that she come in damn cheap. It is all there in today's or may be yesterday's Bangalore times, Shilpa shetty charges Rs 50lakhs for a dance number, and Rakhi comes in for a fraction of that.
In short i do see how she has 'redefined' the term item-girl.
:)

Raghu said...

Item girl is a hyped concept... and typical of today's times, it's just another way of making a quick buck... Rakhi Sawant knows how to "sell" herself (literally or not, I don't know!) and is therefore successful..

Debaditya said...

Though it's Rakhi who stole the show, my attempt was to explore the thoughts,ideas and beliefs around feminism.

It's very old post i have put here, really can't gather all the reasons for which i said "redefined".
Sorry for that !!!